SOUTH BEND, IN – SEPTEMBER 09: Fans watch a military flyover prior to a game between the Notre Dame Fighting Irish and Georgia Bulldogs at Notre Dame Stadium on September 9, 2017 in South Bend, Indiana. (Photo by Joe Robbins/Getty Images)Georgia football had a rare trip to South Bend to face Notre Dame last season. The game set the stage for the Bulldogs’ surprising run to the College Football Playoff, and with a road trip like that, a lot of Dawgs fans were interested in tickets.Unfortunately, one broker wound up stiffing hundreds of fans, failing to deliver tickets.Jeff Cook was arrested last September after the incident. From WXIA in Atlanta:The Sheriff’s Office executed a warrant at Cook’s house in Eatonton on Friday morning and arrested him, Sills told 11Alive.Cook is charged with selling sports tickets without a license and advertising sports tickets for sale without posting a license number and his advertisements. He was released later on Friday after he posted bond of $2,000.Today, Jeff Cook was supposed to begin his 180-day jail sentence for the Georgia football ticket scam.Per a report by DawgNation.com, Cook did not show up to begin his sentence. Now, the local sheriff says that a search for him is underway:“As we speak, a warrant is being obtained for his arrest charging him with felonious escape,” said (Putnam County Sheriff Howard) Sills, speaking by telephone while vacationing on the Georgia coast. “I was present in court when he was sentenced, I made this case and he was specifically instructed by the chief judge of our circuit that he was to surrender at 9 a.m. this morning. He has not and I’m getting ready to send the hounds to find him.”Earlier this year, Cook pleaded guilty to nine counts of theft and one count of selling tickets without a license, according to Sills. After release, Cook is to serve nine years of probation. Cook is also banned from all UGA athletic events and from UGA property.Plenty of UGA fans made it into the stadium to watch the Dawgs’ dramatic 20-19 road win. Still, this was a rough ordeal for those whose promised tickets were never delivered.[DawgNation.com]
While progress has been made, the Ethiopia-Eritrea peace process is now at a critical stage and the international community should continue lending its support in order to finalize the border demarcation, according to a report by United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan released today in New York.In a report to the Security Council on the activities of the UN Mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea (UNMEE) since last December, Mr. Annan highlights key developments and gives an update on Boundary Commission activities.”On balance, the parties have generally been cooperating well through this process,” Mr. Annan says. “However, it is now time for them to translate their commitments into real action on the ground, namely, the implementation of the 13 April 2002 delimitation decision.”The Secretary-General says while the two parties should be commended for the fact that there have been no serious ceasefire violations since the establishment of the Temporary Security Zone, recent cross-border incidents are a source of concern.Also of serious concern to Mr. Annan are “forceful” demarches made by the two parties to his Special Representative and the Boundary Commission. “Efforts to reopen fundamental matters already settled through binding arbitration could only be counterproductive,” he notes.”The period ahead will pose major challenges,” Mr. Annan adds, renewing his appeal for contributions to facilitate the demarcation process scheduled for completion in November. He also stresses that the humanitarian consequences of the demarcation process must be heeded, especially with the serious drought affecting the two countries.The Council is scheduled to hold a meeting later today of countries contributing troop to the UN Mission, and meet for consultations tomorrow to discuss the Secretary-General’s report.Meanwhile, the UN Coordinator for Eritrea, Simon Nhongo, is scheduled to arrive in New York tomorrow to meet with key donors in a bid to boost funding for UN humanitarian activities.The UN appeal for Eritrea has so far received a mere two per cent of the $163 million requested, hardly enough to help the 1.4 million people affected by the drought that had contributed to serious food shortages. The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said it fears that the aid reserves will run out by the end of this month.