Thug who imposes the law in Tehran

first_img IranMiddle East – North Africa Prosecutor and, ironically, law professor at the Tehran faculty of journalism, Mortazavi’s persecution of the media has resulted in the suspension of dozens of newspapers and the jailing of many journalists, often tried behind closed doors and held in solitary confinement for months, as was confirmed by a UN delegation that included special rapporteur for freedom of expression Ambeyi Ligabo. It is Mortazavi who issues the warrants to the intelligence ministry and prosecutor’s office agents who arrest “suspects”. He prepares the prosecution cases, drafts the indictments and oversees interrogation. On the basis of past experience, we believe he participates actively in interrogation sessions. One of these bloggers, Rafihzadeh, the daily Etemad’s arts and culture editor, who was arrested on 7 September 2004 and released two months later, told Reporters Without Borders: “Mortazavi played a key role in the bloggers affair, both during the interrogations, in which he did not hesitate to use torture, and in the staging of the confessions, which he dictated himself.” “Two official Iranian investigations confirmed that Mortazavi ordered the illegal arrest and detention of Ms. Kazemi that resulted in her torture and death,” Canadian foreign minister Lawrence Cannon said on 26 June. He also said there had been reports that Mortazavi falsified documents to cover up his involvement in her case. Canada continues to press Iran to carry out a credible investigation into her death. Mortazavi is blamed for Iranian-Canadian photo-journalist Zahra Kazemi’s death in custody on July 2003. Arrested while photographing the families of detainees outside Tehran’s Evin prison on 23 June 2003, Kazemi was tortured during interrogation and died as a result of injuries to the head. UN Human Rights Commission special representative Maurice Copithorne was told by a senior official in 2002 that Mortazavi was one of four judges being investigated by a judicial disciplinary court on suspicion of committing serious crimes. Copithorne had proposed at the time that he should be immediately relieved of his duties pending a decision by this court. Born in 1967 in the small town of Meybod, in the eastern province of Kerman, he went to secondary school before joining a militia created by Ayatollah Khomeiny in the 1980s. He began studying law at Tafat free university in Kerman province in 1985 without sitting an entrance test, taking advantage of a quota reserved for militiamen and the relatives of martyrs. June 9, 2021 Find out more RSF_en Rafihzadeh continued: “After we were released, we were summoned to Mortazavi’s office and he threatened to organise an ‘interview’ with the Fars News agency that all the media would attend. These forced confessions were as important as the actual trial. I remember that Mortazavi threatened us one day, saying, ‘The next time it will be 20 years if you don’t do what I say. And don’t forget that road accidents happen quickly in Iran, either to you or your family.’ Nowadays, the authorities, above all Mortazavi, are using the same methods now against those who have been arrested. Mortazavi reportedly uses every kind of psychological and physical pressure and harassment when he conducts interrogations. His use of mistreatment has been confirmed several times. Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists Organisation Follow the news on Iran The man who has been orchestrating the crackdown on journalists and demonstrators since 12 June 2009, Tehran prosecutor general Said Mortazavi, has had a long career as a human rights predator. At the same time, he worked for two years as Tafat deputy prosecutor before becoming the head of the justice department in the province. His links with the “Motalefeh” current, a conservative wing of the regime with a great deal of influence within the judicial system, played a key role in his rise in the state apparatus. He was named as president of the 9th chamber of the Tehran court in 1992.center_img News News Help by sharing this information June 11, 2021 Find out more In a crackdown on bloggers in 2004, Mortazavi used videoed confessions as a way to pressure some of those detained. As a result, Omid Memarian, Shahram Rafihzadeh, Rozbeh Mir Ebrahimi, Javad Gholam Tamayomi were all forced to accuse themselves of grotesque crimes they had never committed. Receive email alerts to go further During a “media spring” that was made possible by the reformist Mohamad Khatami’s election as president in 1997, the ambitious Judge Mortazavi became the scourge of the pro-reform newspapers, acting at the Supreme Leader’s behest. After presiding Tribunal 1410, dubbed the “press tribunal” for having suspended hundreds of newspapers since April 2000, Mortazavi was appoint Tehran prosecutor general on 20 May 2003. News “In these confessions, he wanted us to denounce journalists and pro-reform politicians. He also insisted a great deal that we talk about the Zahra Kazemi case, asking us to say that ‘Kazemi was invited to Iran by one of the reformist politicians’. He wanted to use our confessions to cover up his own involvement in the case.”Another blogger, Omidreza Mirsayafi, who was arrested on Mortazavi’s orders, died in prison in suspicious circumstances on 18 March 2009. At the time, Reporters Without Borders called for an immediate investigation into his death. Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 Iran is stepping up pressure on journalists, including foreign journalists, in run-up to election July 1, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Thug who imposes the law in Tehran IranMiddle East – North Africa March 18, 2021 Find out more Newslast_img read more

Information minister bans distribution of four foreign newspapers

first_img Reporters Without Borders condemns the Egyptian government’s decision on 19 February to ban four foreign newspapers that reprinted some of the cartoons that were published by 17 Danish newspapers on 13 February in a show of solidarity on the issue of freedom of expression.“Banning the distribution of newspapers that reproduced the Mohammed cartoons only strengthens those who have taken the most radical positions on this subject,” the press freedom organisation said. “We urge the Egyptian government to reverse this decision and to let civil society decide for itself whether the content of these newspapers was defamatory.”The four newspapers whose issues were banned were Germany’s Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung and Die Welt, the London-based Observer and the New York-based Wall Street Journal. The ban was issued by information minister Anas Al-Feki, who told the Egyptian news agency MENA: “Any newspaper or magazine that publishes something offensive towards the Prophet (….) or the three monotheistic religions will be banned.”Article 20 of Egypt’s press law allows the information minister to ban reports liable to harm national interest. An issue of the French bimonthly Historia Thématique about fundamentalism was banned by Egypt, Tunisia and Turkey in January 2007 on the grounds that it was offensive to religion.Meanwhile, an Arab League agreement to restrict the freedom expression of the region’s satellite TV stations – adopted at Egypt’s initiative – may have secured its first victim. Al-Barakah, a station that had been broadcasting business news for the past seven months, has gone off the air. The reasons are not yet known. February 21, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Information minister bans distribution of four foreign newspapers Help by sharing this information February 6, 2021 Find out more News Detained woman journalist pressured by interrogator, harassed by prison staff RSF_en Receive email alerts Follow the news on Egypt News to go furthercenter_img News Organisation EgyptMiddle East – North Africa February 1, 2021 Find out more News Al Jazeera journalist Mahmoud Hussein back home after four years in prison EgyptMiddle East – North Africa Less press freedom than ever in Egypt, 10 years after revolution January 22, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Working group to make business easier to do in Donegal

first_imgNews Working group to make business easier to do in Donegal Facebook Facebook Twitter Google+ WhatsApp Google+ PSNI and Gardai urged to investigate Adams’ claims he sheltered on-the-run suspect in Donegal Further drop in people receiving PUP in Donegal RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twittercenter_img 365 additional cases of Covid-19 in Republic WhatsApp Previous articleNCBI warn that sight loss is becoming a growing problem in DonegalNext articleRape charges dropped against Derry man in New York News Highland Pinterest Pinterest Man arrested on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences in Derry By News Highland – September 28, 2011 Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday May 25th Donegal County Council is to establish a working group ahead of the 2012 budget to discuss ways of making it easier to do business in the county.The move is off the back of a motion from Councillor Barry O’Neill who wants more done to assist smaller business survive in these more challenging times.Councillor O’Neill says the amount of vacant business premises in towns and villages is a cause of concern…[podcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/oneillam.mp3[/podcast] 75 positive cases of Covid confirmed in Northlast_img read more