Colombia Seized 15 Million Dollars from Drug Trafficking in the Last Month

first_imgBy Dialogo July 02, 2009 BOGOTA, July 1, 2009 (AFP) – The Colombian police confiscated 15 million dollars from drug trafficking in the last month, an achievement linked to drug traffickers’ efforts to increase cocaine production, which has dropped due to actions taken by the authorities, the police announced on Wednesday. Police director General Oscar Naranjo, said that “in the last few weeks” the police “have seized around 15 million dollars from drug trafficking” in operations that uncovered two routes by which drug chiefs brought money into Colombia. “Different organizations are involved, but it should be indicated that two routes have been identified in these cases, the Caribbean islands and, in particular, Mexico to Colombia,” the official stated to reporters. Regarding the latter discovery, the police commander indicated that a “system of human couriers” had been detected running from Mexico City to Bogotá and Cali in the southwest. Naranjo indicated that since the beginning of the year the Colombian authorities have seized 17 million dollars of drug money, and he explained that the increase in the flow of currency is due to the traffickers’ need to stimulate cocaine production in light of a fall in supply in the United States. This decrease is explained by actions taken by the authorities against coca crops and their seizures of smuggling shipments, with the result that cocaine for sale on U.S. streets has declined in purity by 39 percent, the official affirmed, citing American government statistics. “The availability of cocaine in the United States has notoriously decreased; hence these organizations are desperate to bring dollars into the country in order to promote the planting and production of alkaloids,” he maintained. Colombia is the world’s largest producer of cocaine, although production fell 28 percent in 2008, from 600 to 430 metric tons, according to a study by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) released on June 19.last_img read more

1-228th AVN, SOCSOUTH Enhance Belizean CTOC Capabilities

first_imgBy Staff Sgt. Siuta B. Ika, Joint Task Force-Bravo Public Affairs August 08, 2016 Joint Task Force-Bravo’s 1st Battalion, 228th Aviation Regiment deployed UH-60 Black Hawk and CH-47 Chinook helicopters to conduct a variety of training scenarios throughout the Belize District with members of the Belize Special Assignment Group and Belize Coast Guard – who were supported by members of Special Operations Command South – July 18 through 21. The BSAG, BCG, SOCSOUTH and 1-228th AVN personnel executed Fast Rope Insertion and Extraction System (FRIES) training, helocast operations and recovery with the Jacobs Ladder, and open water hoist training in order to increase the capabilities of the Belizean forces to conduct counter-transnational organized crime operations within their land and maritime borders. U.S. Army Capt. Paul Peterson, 1-228th AVN assistant operations officer, said that although the training event was a great step for the BSAG and BCG members to become proficient in helicopter operations, he thinks a bigger benefit for our partners came in the form of planning and operating with outside air assets. “Throughout the training event we went into briefs together and they asked us questions to learn how we operate, so learning the mission-planning process was important to them,” Capt. Peterson said. The officer also said the training was equally beneficial for the pilots and crews because of the qualifications gained, and the experience of working with partner nation ground and maritime forces. The U.S. Ambassador to Belize, Carlos Moreno, witnessed a training scenario first hand and praised the cooperation between all of the military forces. “These kinds of partnerships are essential in maintaining a good, productive relationship, and ultimately serves to protect American interests abroad and on the mainland,” Moreno said. “Anytime you develop a partnership like this, it really serves to tighten those bonds and it mutually supports what we both want to accomplish here.”last_img read more

WWC: Scotland knocked out after 3-3 draw with Argentina

first_imgScotland are out of the Women’s World Cup after a twice taken added-time penalty gave Argentina a dramatic draw.The Scots needed to win and Kim Little turned in their opener before Jen Beattie and Erin Cuthbert netted from corners after the break.Milagros Menendez then Florencia Bonsegundo replied for Argentina.A VAR-awarded spot-kick taken by Bonsegundo was saved by Alexander but she was off her line and the striker agonisingly scored second time around.With 16 minutes to play, Shelley Kerr’s Scots were on course to be one of the four best third-placed sides going into Thursday’s final fixtures in Groups E and F but Argentina’s recovery consigned the Scots to bottom place in Group D.And Scotland captain Rachel Corsie was unhappy that referee Hyang-ok Ri allowed an Argentina free-kick to be taken while substitute Fiona Brown was coming on as a substitute, with another sub, Sophie Howard ultimately penalised for her challenge on Aldana Cometti. Source: BBClast_img read more

India men’s hockey coach says two areas need to improve before Tokyo 2020 –…

first_imgAdvertisement 7pdeNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vsny5xWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E278( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) 49Would you ever consider trying this?😱36pezCan your students do this? 🌚gs1Roller skating! Powered by Firework The coach of India men’s hockey team, Graham Reid told that the team would need to improve  two areas as of now and they are finishing and deep defence. Indian Hockey team is eyeing for a medal in the Olympics next year in Tokyo. The coach of Indian hockey team is very much hopeful about good performance of India in the biggest stage.Advertisement Graham Reid was a former player of Australia and he won the silver medal in Barcelona Olympics. So, this time he wants to win a Gold medal in the Olympics podium with Team India. India trashed Russia in a two legged encounter by a margin of 11-3. However, the coach is not satisfied with the performance in few areas of the pitch. In the deep defence, India are giving away too many opportunities to the opponents to score. On the other hand, the forwards are creating too many opportunities but they are unable to convert all those into Goals. According to Graham Reid, the team needs to be more clinical in terms of finishing.Advertisement The captain of Indian men’s hockey team,  Manpreet Singh congratulated women’s team who also secured their place in the Tokyo Olympics with a great performance.2018 Asian Men’s Hockey Champions Trophy: India annihilate Japan 9-0Advertisement Advertisementlast_img read more

Leafs, Hawks win as Murdoch Division race remains close

first_imgThe Nelson Leafs kept pace with the Beaver Valley Nitehawks in the race to the top of the Neil Murdoch Division by putting an good old-fashioned whipping on the Castlegar Rebels in KIJHL action Friday night at the NDCC Arena.Final score: 9-0 Leafs.Former Rebel Jamie Vlanich finished with five points, including three goals, to lead the Leafs.Linemate Alec Wilkinson added four points with two goals while Travis Wellman also scored twice.Adam Hodge and Darnell St. Pierre added singles. Brad Rebagliati was stellar between the pipes to register the shutout as Nelson out-shot the Rebels 31-29. Patrick Zubick was in goal for Castlegar.In Fruitvale, the Hawks scored twice in each period to rout the Golden Rockets 6-2.Riley Brant and Sam Swanson each scored twice to lead the Hawks. Taylor Stafford and Jeremy Lucchini also scored for Beaver Valley.Beaver Valley out-shot the Rockets 47-27, making a winner out of netminder Brett Clark.The Hawks lead Nelson by one point in Murdoch Standings.The Leafs have a chance to leapfrog the Hawks when the Green and White hosts Grand Forks Saturday at 7 p.m. in the NDCC Arena.Beaver Valley is idle, seeing its next action Tuesday by hosting Creston at the Hawks Nest.Castlegar hosts Creston Saturday in the Sunflower City.last_img read more

St Conal’s memorial service at Leck Graveyard cancelled

first_imgA memorial service planned for Sunday 8th December at New Leck Cemetery has been postponed due to bad weather.A Service of Remembrance was due to take place at the St Conal’s Interments tomorrow to commemorate patients from St. Conal’s Hospital.However, the Orange Weather Warning in place for Donegal this Sunday has prompted organisers to decide to postpone the service over health and safety concerns. “We apologise for any inconvenience caused,” said Betty Holmes, St Conal’s Graveyard Restoration Committee“It just wouldn’t be right to ask people to come out with an Orange warning.“Remembering with Respect must be for everyone.”Another date for the memorial unveiling will be announced at a later time. St Conal’s memorial service at Leck Graveyard cancelled was last modified: December 7th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Over 6-million tax returns submitted

first_img26 November 2013 Over 6-million South Africans, representing 91.5% of the country’s eligible taxpayers, submitted their income tax returns for the 2013 tax season, the South African Revenue Service (Sars) reported on Monday. Of those required to submit a tax return, 91.5% did so on time, an increase of 5.5% from 2012. The total number of returns received by 22 November deadline was 7.7% higher than in 2012. Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan said the increase was recorded despite the threshold for submitting a return having been upped from R120 000 to R250 000, and showed the continued growth in compliance by South Africans. “The ability to collect tax revenue from individual and corporate citizens to finance the provision of public services and the provision of socio-economic infrastructure has been one of the cornerstones of our democracy these past 20 years,” he said.Tax refunds Revenue from individual taxpayers this year amounted to R4.7-billion, which is R1- billion (27.4%) more than the R3.69-billion collected in 2012. Since the start of the tax season on 1 July, Sars paid refunds of R14.26-billion to 2- million taxpayers, which is R1.4-billion higher than the 2012 figure. Almost 95% of refunds were paid within 72 hours. Seven years into the migration from manual returns to electronic submission – via eFiling or at a Sars branch office – the changeover is almost absolute, with 99.86% of all returns submitted electronically, up from 98.86% in 2012. Only 6 471 manual or paper returns were submitted this year. Sars assisted taxpayers at branch offices to submit 2.7-million returns electronically, an increase of 6.1% from 2012. Returns submitted on eFiling by taxpayers themselves totalled 3.3-million, 7.7% higher than in 2012.Penalties Sars also received 1.55-million outstanding returns from previous years, which is 13.3% higher than the 1.4-million outstanding returns submitted the previous year. Of the 1.55-million outstanding return, defaulting taxpayers paid Sars a total of R674- million in penalties. Sars said it would continue to impose penalties against taxpayers who failed to submit their returns. Working with the South African Police Service in combating fraud, Sars has arrested 38 individuals who are suspected of having submitted fraudulent claims for tax refunds. The cases are at various stages of criminal prosecution before the courts. Sars is in the process of recovering about R29.2-million that has been fraudulently claimed as tax refunds. Sars said it would continue to combat such abuse of the tax system, and cautioned taxpayers not to disclose personal information – ID numbers, tax numbers, banking details and/or eFiling log-on details – to any third party who promised them a tax refund.Consumption taxes The annual tax season represents one of the biggest direct engagements between a public institution of the South African government and a growing body of millions of economically active citizens in the country. Anyone who was formally employed during 2012/13 was required to be registered with Sars, whether they were liable for income tax or not. Employers deduct PAYE from all taxpayers who are formally employed if they earn more than the tax threshold. PAYE deductions are then paid to Sars by the employer. On 31 March 2013, there were 15.3-million individuals registered for personal income tax. Although almost 9-million were likely to have earned less than the tax threshold, they also contributed to revenue collection through consumption taxes like VAT (Value Added Tax). Source: SAnews.gov.zalast_img read more

MNS may enter fray, contest over 40 seats

first_imgAfter pondering for months whether it should contest the Assembly polls, and going silent for days in the wake of party chief Raj Thackeray’s questioning by the Enforcement Directorate, the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) finally seems to have decided to enter the fray.At a meeting called by Mr. Thackeray on Friday, party workers from Mumbai demanded that the MNS contest the polls, unlike the general elections. The MNS did not field any candidates in the Lok Sabha elections, but Mr. Thackeray campaigned across the State against the Bharatiya Janata Party. According to party sources, the MNS is likely to contest more than 40 seats in the Assembly polls. “Cities like Mumbai, Pune, Nasik and Aurangabad are on our radar, but we will be targeting rural parts as well,” said one MNS leader. When asked if the party will form an alliance with the Congress or Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), he said no such decision has been taken.MNS general secretary Anil Shidore said Mr. Thackeray is taking constituency-wise views from local leaders. “We are not in a hurry. Let the Election Commission announce the poll dates. We will open our cards at the right time. We are not aiming only at the 2019 Assembly polls; the Mumbai civic polls and the 2024 Assembly polls are also on our mind. We will take a decision best suited for the party and its future growth,” he told The Hindu. Mr Thackeray had been at the forefront of anti-EVM protests in the State and had even united opposition leaders to demand paper ballots for the polls. He fell silent, however, after the ED called him for an inquiry in the ongoing investigation of Kohinoor mill case. His opposition to EVMs had given rise to suspicion that the party may boycott the Assembly polls. “We are meeting again on Saturday. If we contest, we will put in all our strength and even if we decide not to contest, our strategy will be different,” Mr. Shidore said.last_img read more

Tiger pride! UST still overall UAAP champion in Season 81

first_imgFor the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Catholic schools seek legislated pay hike, too MANILA, Philippines—University of Santo Tomas continued its sporting excellence after nabbing the UAAP Season 81 general championship, marking the third straight year that it won the accolade.Rev. Fr. Jannel Abogado OP, the director of UST’s Institute of Physical Education and Athletics, and Gilda Kamuz, the department secretary, received the trophy during the closing ceremonies of Season 81 Tuesday at Mall of Asia Arena.ADVERTISEMENT Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess View comments Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Two-day strike in Bicol fails to cripple transport DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew The Tigers tallied seven golds, six silvers, and four bronzes during the whole season and it was their second-place finishes that set them apart from the whole league.Ateneo and National University also had seven gold medals apiece but lagged in the other podium finishes, while La Salle had four golds.The Blue Eagles had three silvers and four bronzes while the Bulldogs had two second place finishes and a single third place finish.ADVERTISEMENT Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting MOST READ ‘Rebel attack’ no cause for concern-PNP, AFP Chief Justice Peralta on upcoming UAAP game: UP has no match against UST PLAY LIST 01:00Chief Justice Peralta on upcoming UAAP game: UP has no match against UST00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. The Tigers amassed a total of 279 points to claim the title for the 43rd time.UST also took its fifth general championship in the juniors’ division and 20th overall.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsDe La Salle was at second in the general championship race while Ateneo was at third.UST’s 43 titles in the seniors’ division and 20 in the juinors’ division are the record in the UAAP. Beermen Kelly Nabong, Ronald Tubid fined, suspended over ‘Spider Man’ incident Duterte wants probe of SEA Games messlast_img read more