St. Lucian entrepreneur secures deal on Shark Tank

first_imgA Saint Lucian-born entrepreneur Joshua Esnard has secured a dea on the popular US-based TV show, Shark Tank.Esnard, 31, who appeared on the show recently, walked away with a deal with Daymond John, who he referred to as his idol.Esnard gave up 20 percent of his company for a US$ 300,000 investment from John, the sole African American Shark on the show. John made his fortune with the FUBU brand of clothing.Cut BuddyEsnard’s product is the Cut Buddy, “a patented multi-curve maintenance edge up, line up, and shape up tool,” that he first created when he was just 13-years-old after a botched attempt at cutting his own hair at home.Esnard declined an offer from Kevin O’Leary who offered a US$ 300,000 investment for a 5 percent stake as well as a $1.50 royalty until $1 million is recouped.The Cut Buddy has taken in US$ 700,000 in sales since the company was launched in 2016, largely off a successful viral YouTube video that has been viewed 11 million times.For more on St. Lucia, click the link: St Lucia opposition (SLP) supports Venezuela electionlast_img read more

Jamaican PM urges public to pressure opposition to back state of…

first_imgPrime Minister Andrew Holness has called on Jamaicans to put pressure on the main opposition People’s National Party (PNP) that has signaled its intention not to support a further extension of the State of Public Emergency in St. James when the matter comes up for debate in the Parliament next Wednesday.Holness, speaking hours after the country’s most wanted fugitive, Nico Samuels, was fatally shot by the police, said the residents of the area should ensure that the opposition should “feel the heat” if they refuse to back the extension.Let them feel the heat“I urge you to use your voice, use your social media, use letters to the editor, telephone calls…to ensure that political pressure is brought to bear on the opposition to support the fight against crime. Let them feel the heat…..when they feel the heat they will see the light,” Holness said.Last Friday, Opposition Leader Dr. Peter Phillips said the PNP would not support an extension arguing “The State of Emergency powers were not intended by the framers of our constitution to be employed over a lengthy period of time.”The House of Representatives in January approved the extension of the State of Public Emergency in St. James until May 2 and last month extended the measure in St. Catherine North until July 3.Government must prove overwhelming reason The PNP said that it would not be supporting the extension unless there’s “some overwhelming reason presented for the consideration of the public.”Phillips said his party wanted to see a “clear-cut plan of action” that will ensure normal policing contains crime in St. James and in other parts of the country. He said while there is a high concentration of security forces in St. James and St. Catherine North, other areas are still being affected by high levels of crime.Organized criminals still in St. James But Holness says the security forces would not leave St James until the lawlessness plaguing the parish is eradicated, noting also that there are still “organized criminals” in the parish who feel that the Government doesn’t have the resolve “to stay with the strategies put in to fight crime,” and will eventually call it off, he asserted that this will not happen.He said the government would not be following the mistake made when it called off the 2010 State of Emergency before the authorities including the security forces felt it was prudent to do so.last_img read more

Jamaica Records Highest Arrivals Ever for Summer Months

first_imgKINGSTON, Jamaica, CMC – Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett says arrival figures for July show that an estimated 250,584 visitors arrived on the island, the highest number the country has ever seen for the summer months.On Saturday, Bartlett said the island has also welcomed, up to July 31, nearly two million visitors since the beginning of the year, and has earned over US$2 billion.“Stopover arrivals have increased phenomenally over the period,” Bartlett said in a statement from the Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB). “However, what is even more impressive is the progress we have made over the past five years. In 2015 to 2016, we increased arrivals by 29,022,” he added. “For 2016 to 2017, we increased by 75, 628.”During the period 2017 to 2018, Bartlett said tourist arrivals increased by 73, 941.“And this year so far, we have increased by 132, 980, almost doubling the performance from last year,” he said.The tourism minister noted that this performance places Jamaica in “a good place with the industry globally and outpaces the Ministry’s projections.”“This, indeed, is phenomenal, and I really want to congratulate the industry’s workers, partners, stakeholders, my ministerial colleagues and all others who have worked so hard to enable tourism to achieve this level of improvement,” he said.“I am satisfied that the earnings, as projected, is also at a high,” he added. We’re 8.4 percent over last year.”last_img read more

Borno Youths Hold Football Tournament In Sambisa Forest

first_imgAs respite gradually returns to Borno State, north-east Nigeria, youths in Gubio Local Government Area have been organised into 16 teams for a football competition in the Sambisa Forest area.This is the latest initiative by the 8 Task Force Division of the Nigerian Army to prevent the radicalisation and recruitment of youths in the area by Boko Haram insurgents, and further, remove vestiges of the Jihadists from the state.Making the announcement in Gubio, the Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, Colonel Timothy Antigha, said the step was to enhance civil-military relations.“It is part of our operations to meaningfully engage the youths in our area of responsibility. The division initiated a football competition tagged, Tukur Buratai Football Tournament,” he said.“The tournament is aimed at fostering civil-military cooperation, as well as winning the hearts of youths who constitute a significant segment of the local population”,“Most importantly, the tournament seeks to make vulnerable youths in the communities unavailable for Boko Haram radicalisation and recruitment. The tournament kicked off on September 16, with 16 teams drawn from northern Borno. The preliminaries have been concluded. However, the competition is currently at the quarter-final stage. The final is expected to hold in December.”The Sambisa forest was the once dreaded stronghold of Boko Haram until the army decimated the group in 2016 with a promise to clear the woods for small arms competitions.While Boko Haram has been on the back foot since intensified military aggression under President Muhammadu Buhari, they’ve retained the capacity to harm civilians and strike at soft targets in the northeast.Over 20 people were killed in separate attacks in Borno and the Nigerian/Cameroon border over the weekend, raising fresh safety concerns in the region.Hopefully, the football competition will prove more than an army carnival, and go some way in turning the youths away from terrorist ideologies.Relatedlast_img read more

NYX appoints Todd McTavish as group Legal Officer

first_img Luckbox gears up for Toronto IPO May 21, 2020 Wiraya and A GAME ABOVE: Partnering to produce full lifecycle potential July 1, 2020 Related Articles Issuing a corporate update, Toronto TSX-listed NYX Gaming (NYX) has confirmed the appointment of Todd McTavish to its executive leadership team, taking on the group role of Chief Legal Officer (CLO).McTavish will be charged with leading NYX group legal and compliance functions across all divisions of NYX expanded operations following the firm’s significant growth via multiple acquisitions within the betting and gaming sectors.NYX governance was pleased to have secured a ‘key management appointment’ for its growing services. Leading NYX counsel, McTavish has prior tech and gambling legal experience having served as Chief Compliance Officer of Multimedia Games Holdings (2013-2016) and General Counsel for VGT technologies (2011-2013).Updating investors on the appointment of McTavish Matt Davey, CEO of NYX Gaming Group said:“Todd joins us with extensive experience in corporate law, business strategy, regulatory and product compliance. We continue to experience rapid growth and we have appointed Todd to add further strength to our senior management team. As a highly diversified group, we have the largest gaming content portfolio for regulated markets in the industry. Combined with our leading Casino products, our Sportsbook technology via OpenBet is the market leader and powers the majority of tier one operators in regulated markets. Todd joins us at a very exciting period of our growth and I’d like to welcome him to the team.”McTavish backed Davey’s positive comments, stating “NYX has established a highly attractive position in the market across multiple product categories. After a period of strategic M&A the focus of the business has turned to world-class execution. The strength of the combined business will be underpinned by critical decisions within our legal, compliance and strategy functions. I’m looking forward to working with the team as we take NYX through the next phase of its impressive growth story. ”The role of Chief Legal Officer is effective as of January 16th, 2017, and will be based at NYX Las Vegas Headquarters. Share Submit Perelman fund reviews majority shareholding in Scientific Games July 16, 2020 StumbleUpon Sharelast_img read more

Swiss Casinos to continue success story through Playtech partnership

first_img Retail closures have ‘severe’ impact on Playtech August 5, 2020 Share Share StumbleUpon Shimon Akad – PlaytechPlaytech Plc has launched its regulated market services for Switzerland, acting as the lead digital systems supplier for Swiss Casinos Group.The FTSE firm is one-of-four technology incumbents allowed to service online casino provisions for approved land-based  operators under the remit of the new ‘Money Gaming Act’’- established by Switzerland’s Federal CouncilPlaytech has secured its systems permit in partnership with Swiss Casinos’ Pfäffikon (canton of Zurich) property.Stating its intent to lead the market, Playtech has launched its full-suite casino jackpot games and live casino content, which allows Swiss Casinos to develop a true omni-channel proposition.Shimon Akad, Group COO, Playtech, said: “Live casino is a hugely exciting growth area for Playtech, and we’re proud to partner with Swiss Casino on Switzerland’s first venture into this space. They are the ideal company to introduce Live to the country given their leading market position in Switzerland.“This kind of partnership, opening up a new sector in a newly regulated market, is a perfect example of our strategy in action. We look forward to a long, successful partnership with Swiss Casinos.”The development sees Swiss Casinos become the first operator in Switzerland to launch both a Live Casino offering and jackpot Casino games for the market.Playtech will support Swiss Casinos operations and cross channel dynamics through its flagship ‘Playtech One’ platform, delivering its comprehensive IMS player management system and deeper data-driven intelligence.Marc Baumann – Swiss CasinosMarc Baumann, CEO Swiss Casinos Group, added: “The new Money Gaming Act has given casinos in Switzerland the opportunity to enter the online market for the first time. Swiss Casinos has successfully established itself as the market leader for landbased casinos in Switzerland. Choosing the partner for the online platform then was our top priority and we are delighted to partner with Playtech.“Through our partnership with Playtech, we want to continue the success story of Swiss Casinos in the online market as well. The outstanding offer, the high competence of the team and the flexibility in adapting to the regulatory requirements have laid the foundation for successful and long-term cooperation.” Related Articles Playtech goes live in the US with bet365 August 7, 2020 Jason Ader – No Boogeyman… Activism will play a vital part in reshaping gambling August 20, 2020 Submitlast_img read more

Rank to begin phased reopening of Mecca venues on 4 July

first_img Rank Group has announced that it will begin the ‘phased reopening’ of its Mecca Bingo venues operating across England from 4 July. In accordance with the government’s public safety measures, 36 Mecca venues will reopen on 4 July across England, as Rank re-establishes its retail footprint having been forced to close all gambling venues from mid-March as the UK entered national lockdown. Rank ensured that all Mecca premises have been ‘covid proofed’ ahead of reopening, with all staff undertaking rigorous training to ensure public safety, venue sanitary standards and the upkeep of social distancing rules. Facilitating Mecca’s reopening, Rank detailed that it will push customers towards using contactless payment methods and venue apps for placing food orders.Jonathon Swaine, Managing Director of Retail at Mecca Bingo, said: “We want to reassure the Mecca Bingo community that we are working together to take every precaution necessary to create a safe environment in which to play the nation’s favourite game. “We’re also investing in new entertainment formats in our clubs, to give everyone even better experiences. We are excited to reopen our doors, welcome back our communities and hear ‘House’ called once again.” Further to its statement, Rank management explained that it is awaiting further guidance from Welsh and Scottish governments to allow the company to reopen all 86 of its UK Mecca Bingo properties.Last week, Boris Johnson announced the government’s easing of lockdown rules on leisure businesses (pubs, restaurants, hotels, cinemas and hairdressers) – in which casinos featured on its excluded list of businesses pending further government approval. The government’s decision to maintain casinos under lockdown orders has been criticised by Rank CEO John O’Reilly, who issued a public statement demanding that the government clarifies its judgement.In his statement,  O’Reilly underlined that Rank’s commitment to maintaining its entire workforce had been undermined by the government ‘maintaining casinos in the sidelines’. StumbleUpon Share Share BGC: Government must ‘act fast’ and extend furlough scheme August 11, 2020 John O’Reilly – Erratic orders have placed UK casinos on life support August 4, 2020 Related Articles Winning Post: Political flip-floppery leads to uncertainty for casinos August 3, 2020 Submitlast_img read more

€20,000 League of Legends tournament, Ireland’s EStars, headed to the 3Arena, Dublin

first_imgA new league is set to launch in Ireland come March 2018. The game to be played is League of Legends and the final will eventually be held at Dublin’s 3Arena on Sunday 13th May 2018. The league is called Ireland’s EStars. The league element of the competition will get underway in March 2018. The Three Ireland’s EStars is open to all applicants over the age of thirteen. Currently there’s an application form that players are required to fill out at www.estars.pro.There will be 50 competitors chosen to compete, and each will represent a football team from the League of Ireland, with a further team representing Three. The release also states that the Three Ireland’s EStars will be hosted in two venues each week, with each team in the league contesting one game. The clubs and brands involved are: Sligo Rovers, Derry City FC, Limerick FC, St. Patrick’s A.F.C., Cork City, Shamrock Rovers, Dundalk FC, Bray Wanderers, Bohmians FC and Team Three. The league will also feature “VIP guest appearances” at venues across Ireland, with “regional bouts” on board Big Betty, the “mobile esports truck” as each team bids to qualify for the Three Ireland’s EStars Finals at the 3Arena. The top four teams in the league will qualify for the event at the 3Arena, where performances are promised from The F2 Freestylers, a group famous for football tricks across YouTube and social media and a dance performance from ProdiJIG and Irish dance crew who won “Got To Dance” back in 2012.Esports Insider says: Interesting to see both Three involved with this as well as the Irish football clubs. It’ll be great to see some esports action at the 3Arena Dublin – hopefully it provides good opportunity for some budding Irish esports talent.last_img read more

Tanko: There will be shock inclusions for Afcon 2019

first_imgAssistant head coach of Ghana’s Black Stars Ibrahim Tanko has given indication that a number of unexpected names could gatecrash Ghana’s Afcon 2019 campaign.A provisional 30 man squad is expected to be named on the 20th of May and thus speculation is rife regarding which players will make the cut and which players will miss the trip.A number of veteran players including Kevin Prince Boateng and Sulley Muntari have been recommended to national team head coach Kwesi Appiah by head of the GFA Normalisation Committee team Dr Kofi Amoah.Despite the popular names been bandied about,coach Tanko believes the technical team have a few surprises up their sleeve.We should expect a team that will help us to achieve our goal, and yes there will be a few surprises in the team which is normal.We should also expect one or two local players to make the initial 30 man squad for thetraining tour,” he told pressmen.Ghana is expected to camp in Abu- Dhabi ahead pf the Afcon in Egypt.last_img read more

WWC: Scotland knocked out after 3-3 draw with Argentina

first_imgScotland are out of the Women’s World Cup after a twice taken added-time penalty gave Argentina a dramatic draw.The Scots needed to win and Kim Little turned in their opener before Jen Beattie and Erin Cuthbert netted from corners after the break.Milagros Menendez then Florencia Bonsegundo replied for Argentina.A VAR-awarded spot-kick taken by Bonsegundo was saved by Alexander but she was off her line and the striker agonisingly scored second time around.With 16 minutes to play, Shelley Kerr’s Scots were on course to be one of the four best third-placed sides going into Thursday’s final fixtures in Groups E and F but Argentina’s recovery consigned the Scots to bottom place in Group D.And Scotland captain Rachel Corsie was unhappy that referee Hyang-ok Ri allowed an Argentina free-kick to be taken while substitute Fiona Brown was coming on as a substitute, with another sub, Sophie Howard ultimately penalised for her challenge on Aldana Cometti. Source: BBClast_img read more